ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
matknu
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
70-400G or 70-300G?
Jan 24, 2013

Hi,

I'm closer and closer to the A77. Today I have a Tokina 100-300/4 AF ATX PRO-II bought in 1996 which in my opinion is really good but a tad slow with the AF with my a55. I won't get much money from selling it on the used market while there are almost no used 70-400G's or 70-300G's out there in Sweden.

I will do more and more action photography, preferably windsurfing and I'd like a telezoom lens with an AF speed I can rely on. I have a few Canon windsurf shooters buddies that use the 70-200 L USM f4 and are delighted at the price/performance ratio.

I've been glancing at the (expensive for a hobbyist) 70-400G but have started to also consider the cheaper 70-300G as an alternative which would give me room to buy an RX100 as well. Can anyone say something of any diference in AF-speed between the 70-400 and 70-300? Bokeh? The weight difference is tempting. The 70-400 is heavy like my Tokina and I'm used to carrying around my hefty tripod but is at the same time tempted to use some more light weight equipment. Lighter lens is nor necessary but not a problem The extra 100 mm is nice to have but 300 on an APSC i enough IMO.

Maybe the focus limiter will leverage the AF on my old Tokina which quite often starts hunting as soon as I loose the subject in the AF-point (this happens all the time when the windsurfers are jumping and looping)?

The Tokina is in mint condition with a superb leather box...gorgeous!

So what do you think?

- Keeping the Tokina?

- Taking the deep plunge with the 70-400

- Taking the smaller plunge with the 70-300 (and adding the RX100 just because I can )

Any other alternatives I might have missed?

Posting two recent holiday shots from Turkey with the a55+35/1.8.

Cheers and happy shooting

-- hide signature --

Mats

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow