Girl's Basketball...comments/critiques please!

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
luvmybec
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Girl's Basketball...comments/critiques please!
In reply to Nevada-is-HOME, Jan 24, 2013

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, this is the home gym, very old, dark, terrible lighting.  A new one is in the works but not sure if it will be before my daughter graduates or not.  They're playing in a newer gym today, will get some shots there for comparison.  Think I'll try shooting some at 2.8 to see how that works.  I noticed a Canon shooter at our gym with a 24-70 lens shooting at 2.8.  Once her pics were cleaned up in Photoshop they were pretty good.  I also find that I'm heavily cropping with the 50mm lens, which I'm sure is part of why my shots don't look sharp to me.  That's why I was wondering about getting another lens...I heard the same thing...spend your money on the lens and not the camera body for the best shots.  Still have to buy software too, just haven't had time so still using the iPhoto.

I forgot to ask about the focus settings.  I am using Coninuous Autofocus, AF area set to "Wide", and Object Tracking is set "On".  Are those the correct settings for these sports shots?   I am pre-focusing but still missing shots .  Which is why I thought maybe a better quality lens would focus faster.  But after reading tons of reviews and comments, I still can't figure out what the best solution would be for me (under $1000).  I really like the A57 so far and have gotten some great shots so no complaints.    YMMV

Nevada, those are cool shots...actually like some of the motion blur in the last two.

luvmybec's gear list:luvmybec's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow