6D-Anyone here using it for low light band/concert shooting?-advice please...

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cageyfella
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
6D-Anyone here using it for low light band/concert shooting?-advice please...
Jan 24, 2013

Hi guys,

Looking for helpful advice from any of you shooting 6d at low light gigs? I was offered a gig at the local pub tonight to shoot their battle of the bands comp for the next few months which is awesome timing as i just purchased the new king of low light Canons :-)))  I already own the 85 1.8 and 50 1.4 and 70-200 2,8. .

Have never done this type of shooting before so i need advice on best setup for lowlight gigs..Here's what i know:I need to freeze action in lowlight to get sharp pics so yes, of course stick to the fast glass but my above mentioned glass have no IS(save 70-200) so keep in mind 1/focal length rule and i want to try and limit the use of speedlights as managers have requested"natural" type shots.  So, if say i need to shoot my 85mm at round 100Tv but still want enough DOF to cover whole band at round 7 Av then my iso will be in the 12800-25k range!..Is that asking to much of the 6D?...Gig is the usual average sized pokey pub with those multicoloured cheapo lights bouncing around all night so i guess safest best is AWB?. I have about $1300. in the kitty at the moment that i would be willing to invest in any crucial bit of kit I 'm missing-is there any MUST have glass that lowlight gig shooters use(anyone using tamron 24-70 for gigs?) that you recommend.   Already have 2 580exii's if flash becomes needed?   Would running around with amonopod for night be an idea?

So if anyone can please give me a lowlight gig setup that would be great...And i 'll have total freedom of the pub so i can get right up in bands face or shoot from the back of the pub( about 30 metres away).

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow