Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Amnon G
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
The X-Factor of Fudging ISO
Jan 24, 2013

Elephant in the room – does Fuji skew ISO on purpose?

There are several reviews that state and show that the Fuji X system skews ISO by 2/3 to a full stop, meaning that photos marked as 6400 are really 3200.

So I am wondering...

- If ISO is not skewed, what’s the counter proof or where is the skew coming from? Is it the lens? There must be something that can be compared apples to apples around sensitivity, shutter speed, ISO and aperture.

- If ISO is skewed by mistake, that should be easy to fix using a firmware update. Sure, that would mean that Auto6400 is really Auto3200, but at least it will be real.

- If ISO is skewed on purpose, is it a matter of “we’ll maintain this (alleged) lie as long as we can because…”? Seems strange.

I really like my X-E1. I always look forward to upgraded models, firmware fixes, etc. (hey, I’m an engineer...). Until then, I will try to make good photos and good art and try to avoid being bummed or otherwise adversely affected by discoveries about my camera. But still, interesting case of a simple (or is it?) yes/no question.

Amnon G's gear list:Amnon G's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow