Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,546Gear list
Like?
Re: X-trans sensor problem?
In reply to Zardoz, Jan 24, 2013

Zardoz wrote:

viking79 wrote:

"A product is the total package. Having a newfangled sensor in a camera is 1/2 of the product, the other half being high quality RAW conversion support required for the innovative sensor design. Hence the product has been shipped unfinished."

And other similar comments, he isn't helpful at all in how you can reduce the problems at all in Adobe Lightroom (change sharpening settings). The blog is trying to pin this on Fuji and spinning it in the worst possible light. Maybe has a vendetta against Fuji, or just wanting to get attention on his blog.

Considering the positive comments included on that blog in reviews of the X-Pro1 and X-E1, I find it difficult to see evidence of a vendetta or "spinning things in the worst possible light". It's documenting a flaw, and providing evidence of said flaw. If Adobe release an update that provides significantly improved X-Trans raw processing, I would not be surprised to see an update showing the improvement on that blog.

Fuji (PR) claim to have supplied the relevant details to Adobe and others, but clearly throwing information over the wall isn't enough. According to Fuji themselves, they took years to develop the raw processing in house. It's ultimately Fuji (and Fuji's customers) that are hurt by poor support for X-Trans raw files.

I agree, Fuji could have done a better job making sure Adobe had it right.  It really isn't their job, but so many people use Adobe products that I think it is important.  However, if another company comes a long and implements better Fuji RAW processing, people will switch from Adobe, so it is in their best interests too.

My point was just looking at the one blog post on the site, and it sounds like it is a fatal flaw for the Fuji X Trans, when in fact it is just growing pains for both Adobe and Fuji.  I think maybe the blogger was a bit harsh on Fuji, since RAW support is a 3rd party thing, people should really complain to Adobe and they will maybe work with Fuji to fix it.

I don't have a problem with documenting a flaw, but it still would have been more helpful if the blogger said some ideas to mitigate the issue (like increasing sharpening radius, decreasing default sharpening amount, etc).

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow