Lens for "big game" photography

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Questions thread
Display name for fame
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens for "big game" photography
In reply to toujoursdan, Jan 24, 2013

toujoursdan wrote:

I am going on a 3 week backpacking trip through Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe this summer with my Nex-5n. I've never tried my hand at wildlife photography but can't miss the opportunity. We'll be going to a few of the big-game parks in western Tanzania and in Zambia.

I have the 18-55 "kit" lens as well as the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens. Perhaps a 500mm lens would also be appropriate? Has anyone taken their Nex on safari? Can you recommend anything? Cost is an issue. This trip is driving me toward the poor house, but have no problem going on ebay and buying a legacy lens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dear toujoursdan,

sony nex 5n is hardly an outdoors camera for mild urban settings during a Sunday afternoon walk.

what you are looking for is a weather-sealed camera

eg canon 1d-x

or a cheaper but really good one such as pentax k5 or any newer models with those lenses that are also weather-proof.

or even a pentax wg2 water proof or the equivalent nikon-canon compacts.

on top of that, some damage insurance would be nice to have but it might be too expensive to cover safari related damages.

maybe you should consider leaving your beloved sony 5n at the hotel before packing up for the safari.

Please try not to see this as a possibly sarcastic comment, but as a suggestion that will save you money and frustration in the end of the day.

Kind regards,

Mario

Display name for fame's gear list:Display name for fame's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 Nikon Coolpix 7600 Sanyo VPC-X350 Pentax Optio WG-1 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
F11?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow