Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,490Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 25 1.4 for m4/3
In reply to aimawayfromface, Jan 24, 2013

aimawayfromface wrote:

peppermonkey wrote:

Panasonic designs and manufactures their Leica branded lenses but adheres to Leica requirements whatever those may be. If I remember correctly, all Leica actually does is look over Pannys shoulders to make sure those requirements are met.

Interesting! I'm almost positive those "requirements" are related to the materials used and their sources (Company A vs Company B glass, motors, housing, etc.). As these have a fundamental impact on the "personality" of the final product, I think it's safe to say Leica is indeed involved in the manufacturing process of the PL25.

There may be some requirements about materials used but don't recall any 'real' Leica lenses to ever have AF or the like so things like motors, electronics etc. probably aren't part of it. I can only presume most of the requirements are about optical qualities.

There was talk how some of Panny's higher-end lenses didn't comply with the requirements thus weren't labeled Leica, and the requirement being software correction...or rather there being too much software correction to be called Leica. Mind you, this was just talk and speculation I believe.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow