Considering a V1 or a D5100. Looking for feedback of users with both.

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bill Rees
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering a V1 or a D5100. Looking for feedback of users with both.
In reply to sharpdart, Jan 24, 2013

I have both cameras as well as a D700. I bought the D5100 primarily for video with stills being the secondary reason. The D5100 has better image quality but I prefer the EVF on the V1 to the DX optical finder which is small and dark with lower quality focus indicators. The AF system of the V1 is superior especially in video. D5100 AF in video is useless and you have to use MF for best results. The D5100 has higher quality video and the option for 24P output.

The D5100 gives you more/better lens options but will be much larger. The V1 is a higher quality body to the D5100 which uses Nikon's smaller consumer body. D5100 controls are better than the V1. You are also severely limited with flash options with the V1. I can use CLS with my D5100 and the SU-800 or SB-900 as commanders.

Personally, I find the V1 more fun to shoot with. It is a higher quality body and I like the EVF better. It is also lighter. That being said, my D5100 + 18-200mm VR are my walk around combo when on family outings because of the superior quality and better low ISO performance.

Bill Rees's gear list:Bill Rees's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow