Nikon 28-300mm VR - Is Focus Breathing an issue if I only need Headshots and nothing smaller?

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
Nikon 28-300mm VR - Is Focus Breathing an issue if I only need Headshots and nothing smaller?
Jan 24, 2013

So I'm seriously considering the 28-300mm as my outdoor and/or "only take one lens today" lens to compliment my Tamron 28-75mm.  I tried the 24-120 f/4 as a possible indoor/outdoor solution....and it was very good, but it was not quite as sharp as the Tammy (especially away from center) and it actually focused slower than the Tammy (non BIM) on my D600.  So I'm going to try an 2 zoom setup with the Tammy for indoor only work and the Nikon 28-300mm for everything else.

My big question is about focus breathing... I have read a lot about this lens having excessive focus breathing... however some way it only really hurts you if you need to shoot very small objects like birds/flowers, etc.  I never really shoot such things... only people.... headshots or head/shoulder shots, etc.

So my question is if I really only need it for those types of shots, can the 28-300mm get tight enough in most cases?  I'd say my normal shooting distances outside are 15-50 feet if I had to guess.

Ken Rockwell (I know... please don't kill me : ) said something that might speak to this:

"...it still shoots tight enough to fill the FX frame with something 3 x 4.5 inches (77x115mm) at the indicated 300mm setting.."

If I'm interpreting what he's saying, perhaps the focus breathing would not be a huge issue for me(??)

Thanks all.

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow