D800 Single-point AF vs. Normal AF

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
CraigBennett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's why
In reply to moving_comfort, Jan 24, 2013

moving_comfort wrote:

Yes, and you have to make sure you select "AF-ON only" in custom setting menu a4, otherwise you'll have a lot of times where it might try to refocus as you depress the shutter button, which I think screws a lot of people up.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

Exactly!  Also make sure that the custom setting a1 is on the default of Release or Release + Focus too.

I used to use AFS single point that I pick.  I now use the AFC, single point that I pick, but set the AF-On only and use the AF-On button.  I like how I can focus on the subject using the AF-On button and let go of the button to reframe if needed.  The focus will stay where I let go of the button.  But, if the subject is moving (Bride) I just keep holing the AF-On button and let the focus follow.  When I'm happy with the frame, I continue to hold down the AF-On button and press the shutter release.

CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow