NEC monitors

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,687Gear list
Like?
Re: Well it is definitely dying
In reply to ronzie, Jan 24, 2013

ronzie wrote:

It is rated at Adobe RGB, IPS, Wide Gamut. It is a CCFL backlight.

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa271w-bk

Right now it is less expensive at B&H to get the PA271W at $ 899 and now or later get the SV software and kit at $291 then the combined package at $1449 at B&H (If you want SVII.).

Provantage was not competitive this time with B&H.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

That makes no sense. The monitor lists at $899 (special pricing) and the SVII is $291. That is $1190. Why would anyone want to order the package for $1449? That monitor normally lists for $1199 at NEC.

I actually ordered SVII form B&H and it arrived last Friday. I wanted to order separately in case I wanted to keep it and not the monitor if I ordered the package. After playing with it for a while I called NEC support but did not make a lot of progress. I decided the monitor was toast so I ordered the PA271. I spent some time with it again on Saturday.

Called Apple support and we deleted some playlists and they confirmed these Spyder profiles i dotted in red were actually deleted. I was not sure if they were still around somewhere and were being picked up. When colorsync is in the dock and you right click on it this window comes up. Turns out even though the profiles are deleted colorsync just shows which ones were previously opened.

Well after resetting the monitor to factory again and several more calibration attempts following the standard procedure the monitor seemed to wake up. I suspect Spyder just could not handle a dying monitor. Besides at the time I was not aware that Spyder just changed the video LUT only. SVII does both which I prefer. I cancelled the monitor order on Monday. Today after doing some readings I realized the CCFL is on it's way out. It is still acceptable but not sure for how long.

I am very impressed with SVII and it is a keeper. Still have to decide about the monitor as I would prefer to wait a few months. B&H told me they will keep at that special pricing until NEC tells them to raise it. What to do. The package price went up since the weekend as I know you had to click on it to "see our price" and now they showing the price which is the same at NEC.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nec+pa271w-bk&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow