Best monitor for photography

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Questions thread
jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
Get a calibrator first
In reply to adisarda, Jan 24, 2013

I think you're better off getting a calibrator first and try to calibrate your existing monitor.  You're going to want the calibrator when you get the "good" monitor and having one now would let you see what the screen you're presently using is so you can compare that against what you have now.  Then you can gauge how much you want to put towards a monitor.  I have a Spyder4 but xRite and a few other companies make the "pucks".

I have an ASUS VS series e-IPS monitor.  It runs about 99% of sRGB and 78% of AdobeRGB.  Which is about all one can expect out of a LED backlit monitor (cool and low power were also on my wishlist and most of my images are shared online where sRGB is the standard anyway).  It was also $150 US.  The ASUS PA246Q was the other contender.  It's 98% of AdobeRGB, has a CFL backlight and costs over $500.  But it's a "wide-gammut" monitor.

I'm waiting for RGB LED backlight monitors to take over and then hopefully wide-gamut becomes standard.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow