Shooting with GoPro Cineform Hero3 Black Ed.

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jezebel Masterson
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Re: Shooting with GoPro Cineform Hero3 Black Ed.
In reply to Sean Nelson, Jan 24, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

Francis Carver wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

I may be wrong about this, but I had assumed that the GoPro has a fixed lens and that you control FOV by selecting a resolution.

Not really, you may want to check out this chart, Sean.

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#specs

Interesting, thanks for that link, Francis. I'd still like to know a bit more about how those FOVs are achieved. To the best of my knowledge the lens is fixed, so my guess is that for 1080 mode "ultra wide" means that they downsample the entire sensor, "medium" means they record only a crop of the center portion of the sensor and, I suspect, "narrow" means they upsample an even smaller crop.

I'd love to know for sure exactly what they're doing.

I think you are right. There are two ways to do it, one is using a sensor crop, like the gh2 does with ETC. the other way could be that it always produces a full rez image, processes it normally, then only records a cropped resolution. I would guess the first process is used becuae there would be less data to process that way, but both will end up with increased noise. I would bet if a person were to carefully examine the files, the longer magnifications have more noise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow