viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
Re: X-trans sensor problem?
In reply to shonxiaohe, Jan 24, 2013

shonxiaohe wrote:

viking79 wrote:

shonxiaohe wrote:

just hit the post below. since I am considering X100s, I wonder does X-trans sensor really has such bad effect as shown below? quite unbelivable...

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20121209_2-FujiXE1-artifacts-reader-comments.html

-- hide signature --

oldcamel

The problem is mostly with Adobe, it is a lot less visible in JPEG out of the cameras. You can also adjust your sharpening settings in Lightroom to reduce it some. It only shows up in certain situations, like low ISO landscapes and certain textures. The samples they have on the blog are the worst I have ever seen.

Eric

Thanks for the replies, Eric, so if it is also visible even in out-of-camera JPEG (through less), then it is not just Adobe's problem -- since OOC JPEG is produced by Fuji.

and, why low ISO is affected instead of high-ISO? the same problem should be there always if any.

-- hide signature --

oldcamel

Adobe is much worse in how it deals with it. Consider anything in out of camera JPEG like minor sharpening artifacts and what adobe does it blatant incorrect processing. It is like Adobe applying 100 to sharpening when they should apply 25 for example.

Here are two Adobe LR samples, just different sharpening profiles

And here is the better Adobe one from above (left), compared to one from the camera (on right):

Note: Fuji picked a new file number for the file when I converted the RAW in camera. Fuji lets you develop RAW files after the fact in camera.

Note that the Adobe Lightroom version is way over-sharpened, and that is at 8. It is showing severe moire on the dial, etc. Even this bad I generally have no issue with the adobe conversion, but it does cause problems in some circumstances. I didn't try to match colors or anything between the two conversions.

The website is purposefully picking pictures to spin the worst possible light on the situation, over sharpened, with no attempt to reduce the artifacts.  Consider it a very single minded review on Adobe Lightroom, not the X-Trans sensor.  Yes, the XTrans behaves differently than a traditional Bayer sensor, that doesn't mean it is better or worse.  There are of course some tradeoffs with the different CFA.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow