Sony 50mm 1.8 vs Minolta 50mm 1.7

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Questions thread
dtrph
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony 50mm 1.8 vs Minolta 50mm 1.7
In reply to ak1981, Jan 24, 2013

My first Alpha lens was the original maxxum 50f1.7 (KM7D), I've also owned/used the 2nd generation maxxum 50f1.7 (smooth focus ring vs the ridged focus ring) and 2x maxxum 50f1.4 -

I prefer the sony 50f1.8!

While the built of the sony is doubtful to last the 20+ years of the minolta the IQ of the sony is better.  You also get a new lens designed for digital not film with a warranty.

The minoltas were fun and i would go back to them IF i owned the a99.  But for APS-C I recommend to get a sony.

BTW it's also a small gamble to buy the used minolta's as 1 of the 4 I acquired in ebay had the dreaded oily blades (the seller was kind enough to give me credit on return).

As far as the size of the focusing ring and limitations of manual focus - the minoltas focusing rings were not very user friendly either as they are just as thin.

-- hide signature --

dancph

dtrph's gear list:dtrph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A65 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow