Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,257Gear list
Like?
Either.....
In reply to Haplo859, Jan 23, 2013

Haplo859 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm sure you guys get this question all the time so I hope you don't mind pointing me in the right direction. I am looking to upgrade my camera, the primary use is for travel photography. I currently either just use my iPhone or Canon Powershot SD750.

There are a couple reasons I want to upgrade:

1. I want to be able to make medium size prints (maybe large prints as well?) without having to worry about noise or blurriness.

2. I'd like a camera that is able to perform adequately in more trying circumstances such as low light shots.

I primarily shoot landscapes, urban settings, and people. I don't need/care about shooting sports or toddlers.

I honestly don't know much of anything about photography but have been reading various blogs and websites such as this one in an attempt to educate myself. From what I've learned it sounds like a mirrorless system may be the best play for me. I am willing to deal with a somewhat larger camera to get better quality shots but I don' want to deal with the massive heft of a DSLR (nor do I really think I have anywhere the level of expertise to make use of a DSLR).

I looked at a bunch of 'Top-10', 'Best of 2012', etc style lists for mirrorless cameras and used those recommendations to narrow my search down. Price is definitely a factor and as I mentioned I don't really know what I'm doing so spending extra money for extra features doesn't really make sense for me. This is what my list of options looks like so far (I've also included the best price that I was able to find each camera at)

Sony Alpha NEX-C3 - $365

Sony Alpha NEX-F3 - $450

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 - $405

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 - $410

All of the above prices include the camera body and the default lens set for each respective camera. At these price points which would you recommend? I'm currently leaning towards the C3.

Panny G3 or Oly E-pl1 (both about $300.00) or G5, a little bit more.

Panny has a built in EVF, Oly doesn't but has IBIS (stabilization built into the body-makes any lens stabilized).

Done.

Tedolph

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow