Digital camera with large sensor or camcorder with small sensor?

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jezebel Masterson
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Re: 60 fps frame rate pros and cons
In reply to Francis Carver, Jan 23, 2013

Francis Carver wrote:

There is no reason then, that we should be shooting at 24fps.

And probably not much reason not to shoot at 24, 25, or 30 fps, either.

True. If I had 120fps on my camera, I wouldn't be shooting 60p either.

The bottom line is, we can easily shoot far over 24fps, so why not do it?

Why do it if you are not forced to do it, might actually be the better question?

We could ask that about any number. I am simply using the highest FPS I have available. So I ask you, would you rather shoot/watch video at 60fps or 24?

If my panasonic would shoot at 120fps without any IQ degredation, I would do it.

If you don't mind me asking.... why aren't you look at the GoPro Hero3 is you love high frame rates but have an equipment budget?

If you can find a go pro with the same lens specs, I'm all for it. I would also prefer to see what I am shooting at, right now I have a 1.1m dot LCD to compose on. Matter of fact, lets just find a camcorder that shoots at higher fps, that seems much simpler.

Professional 4K Cinema 15 fps / 2.7K cinema 30 fps / 1440p 48 fps / 1080p 60 fps / 960p 100 fps /720p 120 fps and more video capture.

As you can see, with some cameras makers you are NOT LIMITED TO 60 fps, not by a long shot. This one from GoPro, for example, shoots at 15 fps, 30 fps, 60 fps, 100 fps, and 120 fps frame rates. Not sure why I would be struggling with a Panny Lumix if I wanted high resolution and high frame rates capabilities in a single digital camera, quite frankly.

Read the above. I want 1080p first and foremost, which means the go pro is limited to 60fps, just like mine. If rez was of no concern I could get a bridge camera with almost 1kfps, but it would be sub 480p. 1440/48p would probably be nice, but again, no zoom, no LCD/VF, focus peaking, ect, not to mention my plasma is only 1080p. I don't consider myself to be struggling lol, not sure what you have been shooting with to skew your opinion of these. You obviously have a bias against "panny lumix" if you think a X900m is struggling.

Of course, at close to $400, the Hero3 may not be in your budget range, but something to keep in mind for future reference, right?

Are you trolling lol? My Panny was $750, my DSLR was $1200, lenses another grand, my budget is not a hard ceiling. I limited myself on my first camcorder in case I buy something I don't end up being crazy about. If I decide this isn't for me, I only spent $750. If it reaffirms my ideas, my next will be higher end. I can tell you that so far I am looking forward to learning more with my X900m, and my next upgrade will be the AC-90 or higher. If you think I should ditch an AC-90 for a gopro hero you have a screw loose.

120fps may appear exactly the same as 60, or it could be even smoother.

How could 120 fps possibly APPEAR THE SAME as 60 fps? Surely, you had made a joke here, right? I mean, if that was true, than 60 fps would appear the same as 30 fps, and I believe you had stated before that it does not, right?

When you show clinical evidence of exactly what the FPS limit is of our vision, I can tell you exactly what the difference would be. If my vision cannot see individual frames past 60fps, then yea, to my eyes it would look identical to 120fps. What part of that did you not understand?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow