12-35 unimpressive as a landscape lens

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,903Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-35 unimpressive as a landscape lens
In reply to Shirozina, Jan 23, 2013

Shirozina wrote:

Just done some quick tests at close distances and it's a looking like different story - a different lens infact. Clearly better performance ( more even resolution between centre and edge) at the wide end than at infinity. More tests to come.....

Sounds like the way some describe the Nikon AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. You can find all kinds of discussions on the Nikon SLR Lens Talk board about people arguing whether or not the 17-55mm is suitable for landscapes. Field curvature is usually brought up as the problem: The idea is that the lens design results in a curved focal plane for some focal lengths and focal distances... especially at the wide end. It's the kind of thing that some people seem to struggle with more than others. Some say they can't get acceptable landscapes with the lens, while others say it is their primary landscape lens. Personally I don't have many problems with my 17-55mm getting soft towards the edges, so maybe I have a better than average sample? Maybe I am making different decisions about where to focus? I do notice some softness. Compared to my Tokina 12-24mm at 17mm, the Nikon is sharper at the center but less so at the edges. Even though the Tokina is not as sharp at the center, it is at least consistent across the frame (except the extreme edges at 12mm). When I stop the lens down to f/8 or f/11 (on APS-C) I get excellent results, but I prefer the Tokina 12-24mm for landscape work. I am hoping that I will like the Oly 9-18mm just as much, but currently my go-to landscape lens is still the 14-45mm.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow