Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,873
Like?
Re: Here's why
In reply to JacquesC, Jan 23, 2013

JacquesC wrote:

ch382 wrote:

How much "Real" difference do you find between AF-S and AF-C? I mean why do you value that over Single-servo?

I understand that AF-C is a good choice for subjects that are in motion, etc. But do you still use this mode for say Portraits, or event photography?

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Charlie.

Charlie,

The big advantage of using the "AF-ON + AF-C focussing technique" is that you HARDLY EVER have to change any focus setting once everything has been set up correctly on your camera.

I used to shoot with Canon bodies but when I switched to Nikon I suddenly found that using AF-S while shooting a wedding (especially with the bride walking down the isle) I had a hard time locking focus and getting the shot. After much experimentation I found that with AF-C set, release priority enabled, using the AF-ON button to focus (focus decoupled from the shutter release button), and in continuous shoot mode I could get all the shots I ever want, regardless whether the subject is stationary or moving. I can also use focus and recompose (by releasing the AF-ON button once focus has been achieved) with the greatest ease.

This takes a while getting used to, but once mastered you will probably never want to shoot differently again.

Please refer to this tutorial or this one for a more detailed description of the AF-ON method of focussing and the benefits of using it.

Switching to this method made ALL the difference to me and I have very few out of focus shots since I started using it. Best of all, you don't have to change a single setting when you need to switch between shooting stationary or moving subjects, and you need never wonder in what mode you are at any time !

It is really worth your while investigating this further, even if you decide against using it, you will at least understand what it is all about.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
Apple & Eve website and blog : apple-and-eve.com

What does using AF-ON + AF-C have to do with shooting Canon or Nikon. You sounding as if you cannot do it with Canon. You can apply the same technique with Canon cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow