Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?
Sony NEX-5 as a lightweight companion
Jan 23, 2013

There are a lot of situations where I leave my D300s at home. It's a great camera but it's large and bulky. This is especially true with a grip and a 24-70 or 70-200 mounted but it's still big with no grip and an 18-105 lens.

My iPhone, on the other hand is small, compact and always with me but I rarely take it out of my pocket for anything except the most casual snapshots. The controls, even with 3rd party apps, are poor. IQ is OK in decent light and terrible in lower light. However, it's as good as a P&S as far as I'm concerned.

So, I'm looking for something in between. Small enough to slide into a small motorcycle bag or even a jacket pocket but with decent control over the exposure.

Most important:

• M and A mode controls with EC. I don't need dedicated controls, multi-controls or even menu based control is OK.
  • Good IQ up to ISO 6400, very good to excellent up to ISO 1600
  • If no RAW support, good jpg color  and auto-wb
  • Small enough with a mid-range zoom to fit in a jacket pocket
  • Good AF accuracy in low light and/or low contrast 

Nice to have but not necessary:

• Auto ISO
  • RAW File support
  • Built-in flash
  • EVF
  • stabilization 
Don't care about:
  • AF Speed - I'm good with slower AF
  • Video
  • Optical viewfinder
  • > 10MP - 10MP is enough for anything I'd do. More than 16 starts being a negative for me

So is the NEX-5 up to the task or should I look elsewhere?

-- hide signature --
Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow