Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
CrisPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-35 unimpressive as a landscape lens
In reply to Shirozina, Jan 23, 2013

Shirozina wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

I felt the same things from looking at sample shots. Not the greatest for towards infinity shots as there is definitely a disparity between center sharpness vs edge.

And with the limited focal range of 12-35 or 24-70, you *want* it to be good at wide angle IMO because its not like 70 is particularly a great portrait focal length.

Yes and it's very good at 35 with no observable drop in resolution at the edges. I'm not crazy in thinking or expecting a lens of this spec and price should be a more consistent performer throughout the range am I?

There seem to be 12-35 lenses with different characteristics out there.

I have a 12-35 which is razor sharp from 12-25 and gets  little soft at 35mm.

At least at f2.8 it is as sharp as my 25 f1.4 at 2.8, which is a very good result for a zoom lens.

Its very fine for wide angle landscape but as I use it quite often at 35mm I am not perfectly happy. At least I say to myself an occasional  portrait doesn't have to be sharp in the edges.

After realizing that my copy is different I read again the reviews published so far:

• I found one review where the lens is sharp from 12-25 and soft at 35
  • 2 reviews where the lens is sharp at 12 and 35 and soft at 25
  • And here your finding that it is soft at 12 and sharp at 35

Maybe panasonic could have a closer eye on the production line?

CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow