Evaluating a used Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4...

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OM Dude
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Evaluating a used Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4...
Jan 23, 2013

on my Olympus OM-D E-M5 and could use some help from minds and eyes more experienced than mine. After reading all the glowing praise of this lens, I decided to get one and try it out. I'm a bit underwhelmed, which could be my unrealistic expectations. The AF seems fine, but some softness in the corners and edges surprised me out of the box.

I guess my purchase trajectory might be the problem. I purchased the Olympus 45mm, then the Olympus 75mm both of which astounded me. Then I decided to go wider with a Voigtlander 25mm, but found the manual focusing too bothersome with the EVF but found the lens quite good as well. I'm also not very experienced with wide angle lenses, on my old DSLR set-up,I rarely needed anything below 45mm or so. With my DSLR system I tended to shoot a lot of 1:1 macros, large mammals, stuff my wife needed for her work as a biologist.

I will probably use this wide open/low light more than stopped down, which is why I shot the below in the evening. This vertical pebble wall has a yellow cast is from an overhead sodium lamp. Do these pictures tell you anything? I also took some pictures a sign moving it from corner to corner. The center seems pretty good as can be seen in the shoe pictures.

I'm not really that "technical" when it comes to all the lens tests and stuff, and if that is what I need to do to evaluate this lens better than let me know.

I guess I'm wondering if this is pretty normal with this lens, or I should try another. Thanks for any help.

OM Dude's gear list:OM Dude's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow