Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,556Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-35 unimpressive as a landscape lens
In reply to Shirozina, Jan 23, 2013

Shirozina wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

With it's high price tag I was expecting much from this lens on my GH3 but the edge resolution is disappointing under 25mm where my 14-45 is better at a fraction of the price. I shoot mainly at F8 and would expect any wide open edge losses to be resolved when stopped down but doing this on the 12-35 does very little. I was about to buy a 35-100 as well but was stopped when I started to read reports and see tests showing a similar so-so edge performance so this may simply be the design compromise of these lenses. On the plus side it has fast AF, weather sealed, fast aperture, a good solid feel and not bad edge resolution at 35mm. Think I'll sell it unless it's simply a bad copy.

With a great deal of these body/lens combinations one MUST begin by insuring LaCA and LoCA are resolved for the finest resolution. But expecting premium DSLR glass results, especially at like apertures, is a little much (and even they can disappoint).

However, if one wants to eke a little more out of an exposure, especially with regard to peeping the corners, a trial of DXO Optics is worth checking out (check their site for your body/lens combinations first). I use it like a plug-in in a well established workflow (that is, you don't have to re-invent your workflow with it unless you want to).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

DXO don't support the GH3 yet nor does Capture 1 (fully). LR does but you can't turn off the embedded distortion and CA correction. Part of the edge resolution problem is that the automatic correction stretches and resamples the edges to achieve geometric accuracy at the expense of resolution.

I find the lens to be a relief to have, missing that  zoom range from DSLR days.  The DXO support provides an edge up (on the OM-D).  But I'll turn to a prime if possible for the finer objective.  Yet I'm not expecting to compare/compete with large DSLR presentations (otherwise I'd be using the DSLR still).

Maybe µ4/3 is not ready for your expectations/requirements just yet?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow