Great speech!

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 5,000
Like?
Group think in action
In reply to René Schuster, Jan 23, 2013

René Schuster wrote:

I never knew it only takes two words ("Great speech") to start a thread that makes it to the top of the "Top threads in dpreview.com", lol!:-D

The only requirement: Just make sure that these two words are something about Obama you perceived in a positive way.

And the result -as always- is nothing but a sad demonstration of how divided and torn this nation actually is at the moment! The US financial situation might be scary, but I think this problem of a deeply divided society is even worse! Many nations have to live with serious financial problems these days, but I can't think of any other nation where society is as divided as in the US.

And since Obama tried to address exactly this in his speech -"We, the people"- and he said it a couple times, is the reason why I think it was a great speech! It has to be about "We" again, not Us and Them, Reps and Dems, Black and White, etc.; none of the real problems can be solved as long as there are two groups, not trying to find working compromises but pulling in opposite directions and fighting each other!

René

Group think in action - it seems to me. Have you not picked up on the fact that it has become socially unacceptable to give Obama any praise here in the states René - even for us who voted for him and even when he gets it right?

From my inner circle of friends that voted for Obama, the perception is that Obama is the lessor of evils and not particularly effective as a President.  Unfortunately most people do not hold Congress to the same standard and the role of Congress gets lost in the process, even though the approval rating for Congress makes Obama's numbers look good. Sometimes it makes me wonder if human psychology sits better with a benevolent dictator or King model as opposed to a true Democracy.

You are very right about this division in the US at this time in history. As a moderate, I find it very scary!  Rupert Murdock and the RW components of our corporate media work their magic and then just let the loyal masses spread the group think. One the other side of the coin, the media that sends the message that Obama walks on water is really not any better and we conversely have loyal masses of that persuasion as well.

Perhaps if we could bring back Walter Cronkite style journalism and do away with this partisan media we would not be so divisive.  Also, perhaps if more people would turn off the boob tube our divisions would not be so deep.  Here is a Noam Chomsky quote that I think is apt to our situation "The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”

-- hide signature --

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow