*Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 248 January/23/2013*

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,480
Like?
Re: Taking Liberties
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 23, 2013

RoelHendrickx wrote:

From the first two entries, it seems we are going with a bit of an abstract / clearly processed approach this week.

Here's mine (almost zero effort, just random effect while fooling around):

Taking some liberty with Liberty

The framing treatment is effective, both as echo of the folds in Lady Liberty's robe and to soften the relative strength of hard edges of the pedestal. The overall effect of the frame is to consolidate the picture while not becoming overly assertive.

The statue reigns over New York's harbor, welcoming waves of (mostly) European immigrants since the late 19th Century, with promise of new beginnings expressed in lines of Emma Lazarus' poem on the statue's pedestal:

"...A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

In the context of immigration as a recent and current economic, social and political issue in North America, the photograph could be thought of as a metaphor for perceived inequities in immigration policy, e.g., two of Lady Liberty might suggest different (and unequal) policies, perhaps depending upon the given "teeming shores" from which the immigrants originate. The "browning of America" and undocumented immigrants are busy topics in media and political circles these days.

Or, for some viewers, the perception might be more benign -- merely a representation of multiple opportunties, for example.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow