Nex6: 1080p, 60fps on camera compressed for DVD, overkill?

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,998
Like?
Re: Nex6: 1080p, 60fps on camera compressed for DVD, overkill?
In reply to Jezebel Masterson, Jan 23, 2013

Jezebel Masterson wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

In very general terms, the faster the bitrate, the higher the quality. But other factors are at play as well, such as whether or not you use a 1-pass or 2-pass encoding process. And if your content doesn't have a lot of detail moving in various directions then you may not be able to notice the difference.

This is interesting because I have spent a lot of time reading about and watching GH2 clips, hacked versions. The general consensus is that the top end camcorders can still best the sharpness of a GH2, even though it's often a 28mb/s vs 176mb/s. I know there is more to the information channel than sharpness, but is this really the case or am I missing something? How can 28 look better than nearly 200mb/s?

There's a big difference between sharpness and compression artifacts.   The point of higher bitrates is to reduce compression artifacts, but they won't improve an image that isn't sharp to begin with.   Similarly, the sharpest camcorder in the world won't look all that great if it records a screen full of randomly fluttering tree leaves at a low bitrate.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow