Is the 18-105 soft for distant subjects?

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
georgehudetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the 18-105 soft for distant subjects?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jan 23, 2013

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

I think you are saying most of your pictures are sharp, but a few, including this one, and not.

If I have understood you correctly the likely cause of the problem is the detail on the individual sky supports used as a autofocus target is too small for auto focus to accurately detect.

As a guide with a D7000 the size of the autofocus detail should be at least half the size of the viewfinder autofocus mark. The nearest support, just below where the three legs join, would probably have been a better autofocus target, but it is not in the middle of the picture area.

Nikon give some guidance on difficult autofocus subjects on page 93 of the camera instruction book but the guidance does not deal well with this type of autofocus problem.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Thanks for the tip on focusing - I'll keep that in mind going forward.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow