Is the 18-105 soft for distant subjects?

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
georgehudetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the 18-105 soft for distant subjects?
In reply to RP McMurphy, Jan 23, 2013

Thanks for replying.

RP McMurphy wrote:

F8 wont give you sharpness from middle of the scene to the mountain peaks - those mountain peaks are very far away and at 105mm your hyperfocal distance is unlikely to cover to infinity

That particular shot was at 58 mm, which gives a hyperfocal distance of about 70 feet, which I easily achieved, assuming the camera got the focus distance right.

Equally at those altitudes UV will impair the sharpness on longer distances

Interesting point about UV, I hadn't though about that.

The kit lens is not going to give you huge sharpness, seems to be a decent lens for a kit but I think you're expecting a bit much

I think my expectations for sharpness are reasonable, given that if you look at other areas of that shot - like the rock formation at the left edge - the sharpness is much better than the mountain peak.

Last and not least, the lens is not optimised for detail at infinity

This is what I am wondering.

What you have is consistent with what I would expect - try a higher aperture and push the focal point back a but if detail in the rocks is what you need

Yes, I will experiment with that on some other scenes.  Thanks again.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow