Western Digital Rant

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
chkproductions
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
Re: Western Digital Rant
In reply to AltLens, Jan 23, 2013

Thank you AltLens.  I agree that there is something in manufacturing going on with the WD external drives.  In brief - I have 3WD externals - 2 USB3, and an old USB2.  For no reason and without being able to replicate, the 2 USB3s just stop and do not show up in Windows Explorer.  I have to unplug the power, reboot the computer and and then they show up.  Surprisingly, I have not had a problem with the USB2.  USB3s were connected to a dedicated powered USB card.  At first I thought it was outdated drivers, bad card, etc.  I updated the firmware for the drives from WDs site according to their instructions, one drive connected at a time.  Then for work reasons I decided  to update my computer and bought a brand new Dell XPS8500 which have USB3 in it already.  Same thing - the 2 USB3 drives would intermittently not show up in Windows Explorer.

I went back to WD's support and only found the possible solutions that I had already tried.  I initiated a support ticket and was only told to do a full scan of the drives with their software.  Both drives passed.  I did a Google search and saw post after post on the WD support forum of the same issue - the drives just stop showing up as drives.  On one post it was said not to plug them into a UPS backup or a power strip but directly into their own wall outlets - What?  I don't and I don't think many people have dedicated wall outlets just for external drives.

So I think it is their transformers and the power they put out to the drives themselves.  The reason I think that is it only takes unplugging the power and not the USB cable, rebooting the computer and they show up again.

If anyone has any new info I'd like to know about it.  And any recommendations on more reliable external drives.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow