dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,901Gear list
Like?
Re: 15-85 f3.5-5.6 or 17-55 f2.8?
In reply to Mithrandyr, Jan 23, 2013

Mithrandyr wrote:

Hello,

Thanks to all.

The 15-85 does seem the most versatile. I think the extra 30mm on the long end over the 17-55 will really help cut down on how often I need the 55-250, which would be quite convenient. I just hate using a flash, hence the attraction of the 17-55 f2.8. I guess I will be better served by the 15-85 and learning to use a flash more effectively.

The 35mm f2 does look interesting. I really like my 50mm f1.4, but on a crop body it is just too long for close quarters indoors. The 35mm f2 IS USM looks very nice too, as does the 28mm f2.8 IS USM, but maybe not for three or more times the price...

M

I had the 17-55 f/2.8 for almost 5 years. Its a fantastic lens and never let me down. I didnt miss the longer reach as i could crop in quite a bit but i did start to feel it was bigger and heavier than i really wanted to carry around all day. As i always use hoods it felt big and bulky.

I got rid of it and got the 15-85IS and on the whole felt it was a good move.

The 15-85IS is smaller and lighter, has better IS and is a pleasure to walk around with, even with a hood on.

My only complaint was the lens creep. I had two copies of this lens and both suffered.

Saying all that, i did start to miss my 17-55 f/2.8. To me that lens was more of an all rounder as i had more or less stopped using my primes for low-ish light. I also found i was more creative with that lens.

Ive also had the 35 f/2 and really loved that lens, probably my fav prime on my crop cameras, although my pancake lens comes pretty close. I also have the 50 f/1.4 but never felt it worked well unless stopped down a bit so dont tend to use it on my 60D.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow