Like?
In the eye of the beholder
In reply to talico, Jan 23, 2013

talico wrote:

Marcus Antonius wrote:

talico wrote:

Marcus Antonius wrote:

Dear All,

Since the 5d3 hit the shelves globally this place not only degraded to a low level, insulting, pixel peeping (whom some of you actually made legit comparisons that were truly interesting to read, however the majority of it is complete bs) forum, but the images i see posted here OH BOY. The past weeks i feel i have been thrown back to the 1100D - 300D forum. It seems that the present "enthusiastic amateur" has enough cash stashed to buy their new gadget to capture meaningless totally NON creative imagery

Meaning is not something that you have to understand. I hate all the cat photos. To me they all look the same, but to someone out there, that cat is their cat. It does mean something. Photos of my kids, I'm sure have no value to you, but to me they are priceless. To show them or talk about how I got them is not worthless to many.

Images that have value to you does not mean you have to share them...

You don't want people to share images that are not valued by you. Some people love the cat photos. Some people would love a discussion about how best to use their 1Dx to shoot their cat photos. I photograph my kids, is sharing a photo of them beneath the level of this forum?

You're allowed to share anything (almost) you like.  It can take years to be able to take a step back and see that a photo of something beautiful is not quite so beautiful.  That's a lovely photo, but the eyes aren't as sharp as they could be.

My daughter Kathleen

that would not even deserve a shutter actuation to me, let alone taking the effort of doing a terrible job of PP and posting it on a alleged "pro" forum.

Who ever said this was a "pro" forum? It is a gear forum. People gripe endlessly about banding and Dynamic range and what the 6d MKII is going to look like(yes wait for that)

I said this "was" a pro (-gear) forum, and turned into a well... fill that in yourself

I don't think the forum title or description ever included the word "pro" in it. Times have changed, these tools are much more accessible and accepted by the general public. Even photography itself is being redefined. Cell Phone Cameras, The Uncle Bobs shooting weddings, and Instagram. This isn't the fault of one camera, or another.

Is that insulting to you?

Yes, It comes across as arrogant and rude.

Ok, but i know i'm far from, so i won't take that too seriously.

Good, I don't know you, and I would expect our opinions to be closer than this thread would make them appear.

Maybe yes, but then you should question yourself if you need to improve your skills instead of talking about the improved functions on your camera.

Again, this is a gear forum.

That doesn't mean those gears can't show what you can do with them. If you have a completely rebuilt 56 impala in the shed, you can talk about it all day, but driving it and showing it with pride is something you want to do actually.

Yes, but saying "OK, let's see you run a quarter mile in 11 seconds" is too much. Some people like to cruise around with their car, and not worry about what it can do all the time. - Sorry, don't know where this one is going really

(Have i seen good images on this forum lately? YES, i have seen some, but the majority is really dissapointing to be honest).

I do agree here, I rarely see great images here.

Something that used to be (years ago).

Back in the days, people were "afraid" of asking something in this forum not to upset the pro's or looking dumb, now it's the other way round!

Agree, I am not sure fear is a good thing though. Do you want people to fear you? I don't. I owe a lot to the online photography community. I feel I have reached a more advanced stage now, and the last thing I want to do is to stop helping people who know less than me.

I don't want people to fear anyone, i want to be a mirror and set an example to some. And i hope that will trigger them to train a better eye and try harder. (that's my philosophy behind all this). If i achieve that only by a little, i think i did a job well done.

I think constructive criticism is great. Some people get rude pretty quick though, which is a shame. It scares people off.

Now i ask you to just fill one thread with the best of the best work you shot with your new camera.

Great, that's hard to say. I do know that this photo was extremely hard to get. This was taken in Grand Teton National Park. Very early in the morning. You can see the sunrise in the Ermin's eyes. No flash was used here. This guy was so quick and he never stopped moving. Low light, tough AF target, couldn't get close enough. Luckily I had a great AF, great low light performance, and 22MP to crop into it and get the framing I wanted.

Ermin watches the sun rise. For about 1 second.

The story never should be more impressive than the shot in my eyes. It can strengthen an image just like a particular song can with an image, but the image on itself should tell most of the story.

I like the light and pose of the ermin, though i find the foreground distracting, especially the long brown twig.

I agree, in some cases you take what you get. I don't photoshop the environment with animals too much. Setting up the shot in this case was impossible. I offered this shot to show what the 5DMKIII can do in a difficult situation. I thought at the time this was a so you have a 5DMKIII, prove it can take an interesting/ engaging photo. This was a real National Geographic moment for me. I had never seen this animal before, It looked like a chipmunk on speed. Maybe they are all over the place, but I thought it was pretty special. Sometimes the back story is important.

A good example, a "National Geographic moment" might make a special photo, but not a National Geographic photo.

And make the people with love for photography believe in this forum again.

It seems like you wanted this thread to fail, to prove your point. Well it has, I don't see 149 stellar images. If this challenge were posed to the 1D people would the results be any different? I don't think so.

I didn't want to address the 5dx owners only, i wanted to address all users to show their best, and like said before, i wanted to trigger some, and be a mirror to others.

Please only respond if you have a great image to show. We have enough posts with nonsense now

Marcus

p.s. I should make this thread contain 150 shots by adding one recent image of myself:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/therealthings/6641117129/in/set-72157628678494745/lightbox/

Is it my best, i'm sure it's not. Is it a superb shot, i know it's not. But is it better than 90% of the work posted on this forum now, heck yes!

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

Yes, a cat photo. Thanks for this. I do like Cheetahs, because they are the cat that is most like a dog. My constructive criticism: Put some back story here too. The tight crop on this makes me think it is from a zoo. Also, the tongue in the nose is distracting to me.

I love the tongue out!

Thanks for the discussion.

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow