ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Seashores
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
50/1.4 focusing beyond infinity
Jan 23, 2013

Hi,
I recently bought EF 50mm f/1.4. I noticed that focusing ring is not as smooth as I expected (it gives slightly more resistance in the middle of the range), but since I have no experience with EF lenses, I disregarded this as I can live with it.
If I focus to infinity (precisely lining up the focus mark), focus is in infinity. However, the focus ring can be turned a milimeter further, beyond infinity, which produces a loss of focus. (It's barely visible on LCD and very visible on PC monitor.)
My question is: is this usual for this lens? Or is the lens defective?
I talked to two friends who have 50/1.4. One has the same issue (bought in last 2-3 years), the other is perfect (bought years ago).
This may not seem like big of an issue, but it is when shooting video and doing manual focus. Often I need to do a quick refocusing from near to infinity, which is very hard since I need to stop before the end of the range (which is hard not seeing the distance scale). I often over- or under-compensate thereby visibly missing the focus.
Thanks for any input!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow