Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for all the replies and suggestions
In reply to slimandy, Jan 23, 2013

slimandy wrote:

Optical1 wrote:

If you haven't seen this already, Amin Sabet did a great comparison between the 7-14 and the 9-18. As I mentioned before, the 7-14 has better IQ, but the 9-18 is no slouch. Honestly, I doubt you'll regret the purchase of either lens.

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f41/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-9-18mm-f-4-0-5-6-lens-review-213/

best of luck deciding,

-Kiel

Thanks, I hadn't seen that comparison. I would say that the Pany 7~14 does look a little better than the Olympus in the corners but that both lenses perform well for UWA.

The comparison also made me think more about the effective focal length of the two lenses, and for me that's another plus point for the Olympus. Ok, the Pany is wider but I rarely use 14mm equivalent. The Olympus extends to 18mm or 36mm equivalent; that is what I currently favour as a standard lens (35mm) whereas the Pany leaves me at 28mm equivalent - still in WA territory. So for my purposes it is a smaller and lighter lens, it takes filters, it has a more useful range and it is cheaper. It is not quite on a par for IQ but is very close and is certainly very good. I will definately give the Olympus 9~18 a try.

Thanks again for the link.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

Your conclusion after reading mirrors my own.  While I would never argue that the 9-18 is the superior glass, it is the better lens for me personally - primarily due to focal length.  I'll admit that I'm more of a wide angle fan than anything, but I've gone through stints of shooting with only my 9-18 - it suits my style that well.

If you enjoyed your 17-35mm, I'm sure you will enjoy the 9-18.

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow