Re: Let me try again......
In reply to tedolf, Jan 23, 2013

tedolf wrote:

Anders W wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Anders W wrote:

tedolf wrote:

is not it's field of view.

At 24mm equivalent FF FOV, it's wide enought to be a very good street/candid lens, and a good interior travel lens.

The big deal about this lens is the DOF scale that allows you to set the hyperfocal distance and the ability to zone focus.

Why would you want to use hyperfocal distance?

http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/DOFR.html

interesting article with a good example (and I do like the fact that he used a Leica/Minolta CL, the greatest camera of all time) but all I really learned from it was be conservative when selecting a scene for hyper-focal technique. I still trust it more for outdoor sports than any AF system.

I asked why you would want to use hyperfocal distance, not how to set it (which you can do via MF as well as AF). And why would you want to use it for sports?

Because it is falure proof.

It works every time.

It never misfocuses.

It never focuses too slowly.

Etc.

It misfocuses slightly just about every time. When/if MF is preferable in the first place, I'd rather use the technique I used in the pre-AF days: Prefocus on the spot where the action will take place.

And why would you want to zone focus on a lens capable of fast AF?

Because lenses that you can set the hyper-focal distance on ususally cost about $50.00 or less.

The question was why you would want to use it if you have AF, not why you should buy MF lenses. You were talking about the 12/2 and what you claimed was its "big deal", remember?

Because zone focus and hyper-focus always work.

AF doesn't always work.

E.g. tracking.

Zone focus works so-so all the time. AF works better most of the time.

On an expensive lens like the 12mm, zone focusing is much faster than any PDAF system.

Sure. There isn't any PDAF system with which you can use the 12/2. So what?

I know, and CDAF is slower than PDAF

No, CDAF (on modern MFT cameras) isn't slower than PDAF.

Also, it never makes an error-ever.

Zone focusing errs pretty much all the time by having focus set slightly off target pretty much all the time.

Not if you apply it conservatively.

e.g. if you are using an adapted lens from FF, just follow the DOF guides without correction.

Ha! So you are under the illusion that this is conservative? Nothing could be more wrong.

If you just follow the DoF marks on the lens barrel with an adapted lens (FF/35 mm film), you are fooling yourself into thinking that the DoF is two stops greater than it actually is. In order to get the correct DoF for adapted lenses, you need to use the DoF marks for the f-value that is two stops wider than the one at which you shoot. So if you shoot at f/8, you need to use the DoF-marks for f/4, if you shoot at f/16 (which is usually not a good idea with MFT due to diffraction) you need to use the DoF-marks for f/8, and so on.

So, it you want something really wide, that isn't this len's strong suit.

Tedolph

Tedolph

Tedolph

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow