D800 RAW Primary, JPEG Secondary weirdness!

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ch382
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
D800 RAW Primary, JPEG Secondary weirdness!
Jan 23, 2013

Hey guys,

Hope all are well!

I just purchased two new cards for my D800.. CF (SanDisk ExPro 90MB/s 600x) is 32gb (I wish to use this for JPEG backups) and SD (SanDisk ExPro 95MB/s 633x) is 64gb (I wish to use this for RAWs). I.e. SD = Primary, CF = Secondary Backup.

In settings, I've got:

1. JPEG Compression: Optimal
2. NEF Recording: Compressed @ 12bit
3. Primary Slot: SD
4. Secondary Slot Function: RAW Prim, JPEG Sec.

However, looking in the viewfinder, I'm given an exposure/capture figure of 700!

I'm a little confused.. If the 64gb SD is the primary, for RAW NEF's, Shouldn't this figure be somewhere in the vacinity of 64000/~42 (avg. size of RAW) ? =  1520 shots? Even if this figure was 60000/42 that's still 1428!! DOUBLE what the camera thinks I have left on completely formatted cards?

Have I missed something cos I'm about to go insane?
PS: I have formatted both cards- in camera, and they "work" fine..

Here's something interesting.. If I pull out the CF- it shows me the "correct" figure of 1400 (for the 64gb SD card).. If they are BOTH in there, it shows 707. It's like it's thinking the CF is the primary and the SD doesn't exist?!?

Any help would be trully appreciated!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Charlie.

ch382's gear list:ch382's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow