Canon DPP raw conversion question

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
mfait
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon DPP raw conversion question
In reply to AnthonyL, Jan 23, 2013

AnthonyL wrote:

I am not the OP but I too am trying to grapple with differences in DPP/JPG and Sharpness.

With the Xsi/450d and using a custom Neutral picture style with sharpness set to +3 I shot a test chart with RAW + JPG.

Loading the RAW in DPP showed the sharpness slider at 3 which I expected. If I swapped to the USM this showed Strength 3, Fineness 7, Threshold 3 and the image changed - more sharp. Output to JPG with the sharpness slider view and then output to JPG with the USM slider view and the images are different, and different to the JPG that came out of camera. Batch image quality is set to 9, Luminance noise 2 and Chroma 1. Images shot at ISO100. No other processing carried out. Images are uploaded to http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5043349297/albums/dpp and hopefully their file names are self evident.

All quite confusing.

I played with this a bit and, you are right, the JPGs are all different (Out of camera JPG, Sharpness generated JPG, and USM generated JPG).  My USM defaults are 3,7,4 and the Sharpness is 3 using DPP version 3.12.40 with a quality of 7 as this quality generates JPGs with file size very close to camera JPGs.

The differences are subtle, but noticeable when viewed at 100%.

Think I'll continue to use the Sharpness mode as this requires less toggling of DPP settings as it comes up as the default.

mfait's gear list:mfait's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 450D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow