RX1 Pressed Shutter Release Consumes Battery With Power Off?

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
RX1 Pressed Shutter Release Consumes Battery With Power Off?
Jan 23, 2013

I read somewhere a while ago that if you stick your RX1 in a bag and the shutter release gets held down the battery gets consumed even with the power switch off.

I took my first trip with my RX1 today and stuck it in my computer bag.  I have a soft release on it and am sure the way I positioned it the shutter release was depressed in the bag.  About 3 hours after putting in a freshly charged battery I pulled the camera out on the plane to snap a picture of the sunset and the camera was dead as a door nail. There is the possibility I accidentally turned the power switch to On when putting in my bag, but I don't think so because I am very careful about that after a power switch incident with my 5N in the same bag almost a year ago.  I always travelled with my 5N placed in the same spot with no issues once I identified the power switch risk.

I had a backup battery and put that in and it worked fine... Fully charged.  Now I removed that battery before placing the RX1 back in the bag so I am not left without any juice.  Luckily I will be back home in 2 days and don't anticipate a lot of photo opportunities during this trip.  When I get home I'll do some testing.

Anyone else hear of such a thing or had a similar experience?

If this is a real issue it may explain why some people experience low battery life at times with this camera.  It may also make me rethink using the soft release.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow