new to forum

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295Gear list
Like?
Re: new to forum
In reply to triton kev, Jan 23, 2013

Your kit lens, which I assume is the Sony 18-70mm (SAL1870), is not a great performer. But it can do well in certain circumstances. Photozone.de has tested the lens here and the best center sharpness results were around f5.6-f8.

The example photos you posted don't look right. My feeling is the photos should be looking better - at least in the center. Have you tried taking a few test shots at optimum conditions (bright day, high contrast subject, f5.6-f8) manually focusing very carefully?

I had the A350+SAL1870 and compared it against the SAL1680Z, a lens everyone can agree performs very well. When stopped down to f8 the SAL1870 and SAL1680Z center sharpness is about the same. Read my thread here . Try shooting a newspaper and see if your 18-70 gets similar results to my example.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow