AF mode for shooting wildlife

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,380Gear list
Like?
Re: AF mode for shooting wildlife
In reply to BILLY 0F THE NORTH, Jan 23, 2013

BILLY 0F THE NORTH wrote:

I'm posting here because have not gotten a response from the Nikon forum.

I have a Nikon D7000 and would like to know what AF and Matrix mode to shoot stationary birds and wildlife in. I use AP most of the time and shoot in AF-S mode and also center weighted Matrix mode with 11 point focus. Are there any other suggestions for shooting birds and wildlife that is basically stationary?

-- hide signature --

Bill Romer

The problem is that many birds fly. If that is the type of bird I am shooting, I would also use matrix metering, aperture priority, and AF-C . I am hoping the bird decides that at the moment I am taking the picture, it spreads his wings and flys. My Aperture is as large as possible, with idea that my shutter should be at 1/250th of a second and will adjust if the background is bright. But let me ask; if you already shot under your parameters, how successful have you been?

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow