Waiting for my Panasonic Dream camera

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dawindyk
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 versus G5
In reply to Francis Carver, Jan 22, 2013

Francis Carver wrote:

Okay, so none of the Lumixes have in body image stabilization or IBIS, correct? Not even the US$1,300 DMC-GH3? Sort of weird, via-a-vis what the competition is offering, no?

Comparing the G3 to the G5.... trying to figure out which one came out first, on B&H the first review on the G3 is from July of last year, on the G5 it is from later October last year, so maybe they were both launched simultaneously last summer?

HUGE !!!! price difference between the 2 models, wow. $299 for G3, $599 for the G5 (body only), OMG!!! The $299 price for the G3 is like totally amazing, thanks for the heads-up on that, ladies & gents. I mean, bloody thing is ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS CHEAPER than the elusive GH3's body, what's up with that, I wonder? Is one seriously underpriced -- or maybe the other model seriously overpriced?

I would be using the EVF very little on both, preferring to use my 2X magnification LCD VF Loupe on the LCD screen itself, that gives an image size no VF can come close to. Also, 2x magnification will let me see the whole screen even with a Blue Star eyecushion attached. Not interested all that much in keep poking the screen for touchscreen controls, either.

G3 -- LCD screen swivels, but its resolution is only 460K, so a bit low for the way I would want to look at it with a magnifying device. Doesn't look like it has a microphone input jack, and it says that you can only play out video on NTSC TVs, so when you travel overseas and want to see on a large screen what you had shot, you would be out of luck. Dimensions ar 4.5 x 3.2 x 1.8 inches, so it is slimmer by an inch than the G5 is.

Unfortunately I could not figure what types of video the G3 takes and with what recording bitrates, since Panasonic decided to post only the following gobbledygook for "Specifications:"

"Motion Image (AVCHD) NTSC[Full HD] 1920×1080, 60i (sensor output is 30p) (FSH:17Mbps)[HD] 1280 x 720, 60p (sensor output is 30p) (SH:17Mbps)[Full HD] 1920×1080, 50i (sensor output is 25p) (FSH:17Mbps)[HD] 1280 x 720, 50p (sensor output is 25p) (SH:17Mbps)."

No way would I begin to understand what this mess means. But it looks like this thing records interlaced video only and then only at a maximum bitrate of only 17Mbit/second, which would make it totally useless for video recordings. Too bad, really. I was hoping the thing records in MPEG-4 also, not just in AVCHD (as I would not want to use AVCHD, anyhow). Not sure if the G3 records AVCHD only, or AVCHD and also MPEG-4, or AVCHD and also JPEG, but if it records AVCHD, for example, how come it can only do a 17Mbit bitrate?

G5 -- LCD screen is 920K rez and it swivels. There could be a microphone input jack, but Panasonic says nothing about it. Size is 4.7 x 3.3 x 2.8 inches, weight 12.2 ounce. Specs also fail to list the recording bitrates in MPEG-4 video mode, so basically, this would be a jack-in-the-box purchase for shooting video, due to Panasonic's reluctance to provide proper specifications on their product web site.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-G5KBODY?t=specs

I guess the G5 would perhaps be better for video than the G3, hard to tell when you cannot figure out the codecs and bitrates and don't even know which camera (if either) has a 3.5mm microphone input jack. I am not bothering calling them again, usually folks answering telephones for Japanese camera companies, at least in the USA, know less than I do.

I'm afraid you're looking in wrong direction. If video is your thing then you should be looking at GH line and not G line. The latter is aimed more at stills than video so all things that you're looking for are missing (ext. mic, streaming through HDMI, high bit rates, control over aperture & focus etc). G3 is so cheap because it's an older model being replaced by G5 (not that it's bad or something). Panasonic doesn't have IBIS because most of their lenses have built in stabilization

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow