What is the most minimalist complement to a m43 system?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
drawbridge
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the most minimalist complement to a m43 system?
In reply to Alex Notpro, Jan 22, 2013

I really think that to see a great enough bang for your buck in terms of image quality and functionality over your 4/3 camera you'd have to bump all the way up to say a D600 or better.  That said, spending the money on an Olympus 75mm 1.8 would go a long way towards filling the DOF and low light sports issues you mention with your 4/3.  The 75 has amazing image quality and it gives you a 150 full frame equivalence that may seem like an odd focal length but it turns out to be quite handy for low light portraiture and indoor sports.  Its faster than the 2.8 lenses most pros use and the DOF isn't too far off (though it is a bit wider than 2.8 on a full frame.)

My OMD is as good or better at just about everything in comparison to my DSLR except that it often struggles with auto focusing on moving objects in low light.  In any case, I think I'm moving in the opposite direction than you are.  I'm selling my DSLR body and lenses and won't get back into the DSLR world until I can afford a D600 or D800 plus lenses.  Anything short of that and I'm walking out of the house with my 4/3 setup every time.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

drawbridge's gear list:drawbridge's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow