Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
crazybadger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,278
Like?
Re: GPS watch
In reply to veeco5150, Jan 22, 2013

veeco5150 wrote:

Hello,

The GPS watch sounds like a great idea. I would like GPS tagging, but maybe not at the cost of battery life.

Could you use the GPS watch on your shoots and if I got the 5dM3 easily sync this GPS tagging to the Raw photo's?

Do you do this? I'd be interested to hear how easy this might be for anyone using this method or another small portable cheap GPS.

Not up for paying $250 for the Canon external ones.

Do you have a watch that you can recommend?

Hi Vecco,

Sorry but I've never used the watch for camera shoots so I can't really say how it would work.

I've currently got a Garmin 405 but I'm on my second one. The battery died on the first one and was replaced under warranty.  My GF has had several Garmin GPS watches but with various degrees of success. When we are on vacation my GF and I will often go for a run and explore the area and the watch records the trail in the memory. Then when we get home the wtach syncs with the computer and downloads the route taken and shows it on a map. Kinda cool to see exactly where you have been and I guess could be used to record your trail if you were out for a hike taking pictures, but I'm not sure if you can record specific locations on it. Never really tried. Usually I just use it to measure distance and monitor my pace.

But to be honest I'm a little disillusioned with GPS watches for running. I just find the battery life isn't very good and it seems like every brand and version that gets released ends up with various reports of battery failures/problems. If you are really into geotagging I think the 6D sounds like the best solution.

Sorry can't be more help.

Cheers Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow