ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SR Works
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Best travel/location light stand
Jan 22, 2013

Hello,

I've been trying to put together a location lighting kit, but I'm having trouble finding a good quality, light stand that folds up small enough to be portable (hopefully smaller than 30-inches) yet can hold a speed light with a medium-sized lightbox without flexing and swaying like Johnny Depp.

I recently ordered the Manfrotto 1051 Mini Compact stands, and though they are well-built and fold down well, their footprint is quite small, which makes them rather precarious. I also have several Manfrotto 5001 Nano stands which are fine when I really need to go light, but aren't made for much more than a speed light and an umbrella. I also have a couple Westcott 8-foot stands which are the perfect size really, but again they're kind of dicey when I have a soft box on them and the stands are extended. I wish I could find a more sturdy version of those Westcott stands.

I guess I'm looking for that in between light stand - I don't need it to support my Elinchrom strobes, but I would like it to hold a Nikon speed light, a Pocketwizard, and a Lastolite 24-inch Exybox (and still have it fit inside a location bag). Does anyone make a heavy-duty, compact stand?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Stuart

-- hide signature --

www.stuartruckman.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow