Canon G2X

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
MrSkelter
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?
Re: Canon G2X & full-frame sensors...
In reply to gear1box, Jan 22, 2013

Skelter --

I do not have much to say about their corporate strategies, except to note this: as an economist, i find it remarkable that Canon has permitted a two-plus stop advantage to rest with its key competitors in a critical performance parameter like DR. Now, i understand that cameras are more than DR, that the DR deficit shrinks with ISO, blah blah.

Just seven years ago, the vertical integration of Canon was touted as a fundamental advantage of their sensors over competitors. It now seems to be a dis-advantage.

How the world turns.

I do lust for their lens line, though.

-- hide signature --

gary ray

--
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for maggressive

I agree.

LIKE thin it is an advantage as long as Canon leads in tech. Then their exclusivity is powerful. I think the Nikon Sony partnership was a surprise

1. Sony used not not be a serious player in cameras
  2. Nikon continue to be very competitive sensor designers - see the D4
  3. Canon is much bigger than Nikon but Sony and Nikon together have deeper pockets and more experience. 

Sony might mess up with their Foveon competitor. It could be poor or they might not share the tech. If they don't well with it though it'll be tough for Canon. Luckily Canon's lens users ensurscaleless for a good while. Canon must be working on new sensor tech. They've not improved the fundamentals for about 7 years.

I have colleagues who aren't buyin the 1DX because it's not a big enough IQ step over the 1Ds Mk.III to justify the expense.

My hunch is that the high MP body due this year will herald a new generation.

All that said I've read that we haven't got too far to do before the theoretical limits are reached for 35mm in terms of DR and noise. All the improvements from here will be subtle. It's the other camera tech that has room to grow. E.g I'll bet the D4's illuminated buttons make it onto the next Canon flagship.

This should be a good year.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow