Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alchymist
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
SX50: Bald Eagle from a l-o-n-g distance
Jan 22, 2013

There is an eagle observation area near the Shepaug Dam in Southbury, CT. Bald Eagles congregate near the dam to feed on fish during the winter because the outflow keeps the river free from ice. For almost 30 years the power company that owns the dam has allowed visitors to observe the eagles from an area far enough away to avoid disturbing them. http://www.shepaugeagles.info/

Now who could resist the temptation to go play with their SX50? Not me.

Unfortunately, on this day the eagles were on the other side of the river - about 1/4 mile away. I did catch one in flight, over the river. After the volunteers at the site showed me where to look (they have some nice spotting scopes in the shed there) I took a bunch of shots, though the eagles were so far away. The pictures will get no prizes for IQ (unless there is a prize for "Worst IQ of the Day"), but it is still remarkable to be able to identify a (really big) bird at 1/4 mile.

First, a shot of the dam and where the eagles were perched - across the river, in the trees of the hill.

Soon after arriving I saw this one flying along the river:

Next are a few shots are of an eagle perched in a tree on the hill above the river. There's a couple more similar pictures in my gallery.

2x TC used

2x TC

Take care,

Al

Alchymist's gear list:Alchymist's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Kodak EasyShare CX7530 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot A530 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow