X-Trans sensor in X100S to give it a different 'signature' from the X100?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Re: X-Trans sensor in X100S to give it a different 'signature' from the X100?
In reply to sibyy, Jan 22, 2013

sibyy wrote:

I've owned the X100 pretty much since launch and recently got the X-E1.

There is certainly at least one stop benefit in terms of sensitivity for the X-Trans sensor, though with the X100's excellent f/2 lens I never had to go above ISO3200. There is also certainly an edge in terms of resolution, again also I never felt that the X100 was lacking in this.

However I have noticed that there is a different out-of-the-camera 'signature' for the resulting shots with the X-E1/X-Trans. I know it's kind-off vague, but the shots from the X100 have a more 'dreamy' feeling; don't crucify me but I feel they are closer to a Leica-like signature. The X-E1 is more punchy/realistic but I love how the X100 augments whatever I am shooting.

Do you think the X100S will also lose this 'signature' because of the new sensor?

If that's the case I will certainly keep my X100, which is certainly becoming a classic camera.

You need to take a double-blind test.

Then we'll see just how "magical" certain cameras are.

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow