1d Mark III poor low light AF

Started Feb 13, 2008 | Discussions thread
M Stewart
Regular MemberPosts: 428Gear list
Like?
Re: five
In reply to child of enki, Jan 22, 2013

child of enki wrote:

... the bottom line is this. Neither the 1D MK III or MK IV that I'm testing are able to focus down to -1ev as advertised.

I'll go along with that at ISO100 for my Mark IV.  Any idea at what EV the AF does start working?

Now for the second problem. This problem only effects the MK III. Prolonged usage in low light also effects the camera's ability to lock focus. This however won't really matter since your focus accuracy disappears the more the camera struggles in low light so you probably will not even use it.

I don't understand what mechanism there can be for such an adaptive  effect?

The good news is that there is a solution for both problems. Use some form of AF assist and you should be okay. the camera will not respond as quickly as it would if it were working properly and you likely won't want to use it to track anything in low light but at least you will be able to use it in dim light like outdoors at night.

Anyway, that's what's wrong.

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow