Started Jan 22, 2013 | Questions thread
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,818
Like?
Re: 16/50 lens correction issue - RAW workload vs JPG
In reply to guermantes, Jan 22, 2013

guermantes wrote:

Hi,

Please bear with me as I have little experience of non-p&s photography.

I am thinking of getting the NEX6 with the kit lens as my first camera, but would like to know a bit what I am in for. I have read about the lens' issues and it seems if I shoot JPG the camera do the corrections for my but if I shoot RAW there is a NEX6 profile in LR 4.3 that can be applied to do the same corrections.

I would prefer shooting in RAW (I like the idea of keeping the most possible detail) and then outputting in LS, but I have not done this before so I would like to get an idea of the workload involved.

I always shoot RAW. Its not really much effort at all. I strongly recomend Lightroom. As has been said it just a click to apply the lens profile to every image in the import. I don't think that the detail think is that relevant. Out of camera jpgs are very good. But to me its a huge benefit to say redo the white balance after the event

I understand that in order to correct my deficiencies as a photographer the work in LR can become tedious but that I am prepared for in order to learn.

I don't see it like that. I'm happy to say that I shoot RAW as it means i can be sloppy in the field. When i get home I can change many aspects of my photos. i have more time at home than in beautiful places

But as for correcting the deficiencies of the lens, is that something like a "click to apply" solution or will each RAW image require manual choices and things to be done to it in order not to be distorted or vignetted?

Thanks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow