Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,939Gear list
Like?
B+W 091 and 092...
In reply to ropausa, Jan 22, 2013

ropausa wrote:

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Yes I meant a filter for doing IR photos like the Hoya R72 which is what I am using. 72mm.

That is about the best filter for your camera. It's a 720nm filter, which avoids the problem of barely visible red light swamping the red channel. Avoid the B+W 091 and the Heliopan equivalent.

Hot spots are a function of the lens's IR reflection, not the filter. Some lenses have horrible spots, others are clean. What lens are you using?

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008. Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed. Ciao! Joseph www.swissarmyfork.com

I don't follow this.

Sorry, I made a minor mistake. It's the B+W 092 that you want to avoid (although you also want to avoid the 091, the 093, and the 403. Just write B+W off for IR).

The R72 filter passes IR rays above 720nm per my brochure. It is an IR filter.

Correct. It's a pretty good replacement for a Wratten 89b equivalent. And, like I said, it's "about the best filter" for the OP's camera.

Heliopan and B+W both offer a 715nm IR filter that passes IR rays above 715nm.

Heliopan does, the RG715, but B+W doesn't.

B+W makes three filters, 091, 092, and 093, all of which are useless on a D800.

• 091 is, as you pointed out, a Wratten 29 equivalent, and not much use in digital IR.
  • 092 is a Wratten 70 equivalent, and it passes substantial deep red starting at 660nm. That's a real problem on a DSLR.
  • 093 is a Wratten 87c equivalent, works very well on an IR modified camera, but the 800nm cutoff means a D800 is blind to that wavelength.

Some literature incorrectly identifies the B+W 092 and the Heliopan RG695 as Wratten 89b equivalent filters. This has caused any number of people considerable grief.

The B+W 091 filter is the same as a Wratten 29 dark red filter and not an IR filter. Heliopan also shows a red 29. The red 29 passes rays above 1 little over 600nm so this type of filter is very different then a 715nm IR or a 720nm IR.

True, but irrelevant, as B+W does not sell any filter that is useful on a D800.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008. Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed. Ciao! Joseph www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +42 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow