Started Jan 21, 2013 | Questions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
Four-Thirds sensor - E-3 compared to E-5
In reply to chasfox, Jan 22, 2013

chasfox wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

Apparently the E-620, E-30 and E-5 all have the same 12.3 MP Live MOS sensor. When Olympus created the E-5 they upgraded the E-3 to put the better sensor that was already in the E-30 and E-620 and to reduce the AA filter. I think it's a fine sensor.

Dave I have to disagree with you here from my experience of the E620 after using the E3, L1, E330 and E1 and compared to my subsequently acquired GH2

How do you think the E-3 and E-5 compare? Most people felt it was a big improvement when the E-5 was released. Only better advances in APS made people feel they had anything inferior. (not that size matters, it was the sensor that advanced)

I haven't owned that many cameras at once and don't get into the subtleties of difference in sensors between them. I had the E-3 and sold it shortly after getting the E-5. I still have the E-330 which I aquired a couple of years ago for underwater photography in an underwater housing.

I personally think that the failure of 4/3 ...

I agree about the noise in dark areas of the image. It's certainly there. Expose to the right for better control in pp.

But 4/3 has not failed. Lots of people are speculating and reading rumors, mistaking them for reality, but Olympus is alive and well. Especially considering they developed the m4/3 line during the financial hardships they've gone through. The next pro E-x will arrive on schedule at the end of this year, following a typical 3 to 4 year cycle.

Olympus worked wonders in its JPEG processing in trying to cover the many shortfalls of the 12mp sensor in the E5 and its M4/3 range including the use of a lighter AA in the E5 but it still delivered IQ well short of its price tag. The OMD EM5 would not have been the success it is without the new sony sensor.

Yes, agreed again. We all expect the next DSLR from Olympus to have this same sensor or the next better generation. I don't want to buy a new DSLR body every year or two and am happy with the 3 to 4 year upgrade cycle. Olympus only lags in comparison to cameras that have been developed and released since the E-5.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow